Skip to content

Moving ahead

March 16, 2009

from my last post, I’ve finally made up my mind to wait for a few weeks more. It means I’d still be around at my workplace, despite the whole floor and some of those above and below it getting to know that I’m off for an MBA. This would have been my last week in office if I had chosen IIMC, so I’ve left a lot of them wondering and waiting eagerly for that week to arrive.

Giving up IIMC has been very tough, because its the school I had aspired for a really long time. The main reason I chose Emory over IIMC is that I feel a 2Y MBA would be better for me than a 1Y MBA. For various reasons.

 When you are fresh out of college (UG) in India and looking for an MBA, nothing compares with the mad rush that exists to get into the IIMs. I was part of that process multiple times, and to this day, I have found no exam as thrilling as the CAT (Common Admission Test), where the intense and insane competition to fall in the top 1 percentile from over 200,000 candidates(and rising) energizes your mind like nothing else. It was a challenge, year after year, to break that 99 percentile barrier in CAT. In that respect, I did achieve that target in 2005, but as luck would have it, I just met the ‘necessary’ condition, but not the ‘sufficient’ one. There are many today who, despite having a score of over 99%ile,  miss out on some sectional cut off or the other and eventually give up on the idea of going to the IIMs. So did I, until I noticed that the IIMs are commencing a 1Y MBA program for people with a relatively higher work experience, with GMAT as one of the criteria.
Getting into an IIM had been a dream, but I woke up to the fact that this time around, I wanted an MBA that’ll serve my needs better. One reason I would always advise everyone to apply for an MBA which has an exhaustive set of selection criteria is this – If you’re not clear about your goals when you begin your application, trust the application process itself to definitely lend you that clarity.

As a final note to the IIMs, I salute you with the deepest respect and regard. It was a youth well spent.

An international MBA is a huge risk for me at this stage, but also one that I’m prepared for. It seems it’ll be Emory, but I’d still like Kellogg to surprise me. I’m all for surprises, and endings with a twist. Moving ahead had never been so interesting.

10 Comments leave one →
  1. Well permalink
    March 16, 2009 8:13 pm

    Dude….Emory is not worth it! It has a non-existent reputation in most places on earth. Don’t take a decision in haste. If you want to come back to India, no one will give you the respect you deserve. Dont get excited…think about your decision with a cool mind. All the best!

  2. Happy Libran permalink
    March 16, 2009 10:25 pm

    Good to know. Its always good to have some decision. I hope you have really given a good thought.
    All the best!

  3. ChaosPersonified permalink
    March 17, 2009 6:45 am

    I would say it’s a good choice. Emory is a good school and studying from a top US B School is very different than studying at IIM-C. For starters, you will be over whelmed with the diversity of the class. I am sure it will be much more enriching experience. Good luck!!

  4. anon permalink
    March 17, 2009 10:44 am

    I think Kellogg, Tuck or Ross will click. Your decision to leave IIMC will sound justified to everyone. For Indians, your decision will come as a surprise. I think you want to live in US. That seemed to be factoring more than anything else. My intuition says Tuck will click.

  5. March 17, 2009 10:48 am

    I am glad that you are looking forward to Emory/Kellog. GMAT is the key to get a truly global experience during the MBA and an IIM is not the exactly the place where you can expect that. The prestige issue is debatable…so it could be choosing experience over prestige. ATB!

  6. ahembeea permalink*
    March 18, 2009 7:25 am

    Well – I’ve deliberated over it for long and its not a decision taken in haste. It also allows me to keep my options open.

    Happy – I have. I have been only thinking about this and nothing else since the last few months. Its a tough decision but one that had to be made.

    Chaos – thanks. We’ll see how it goes from here

    Anon – There is no such factor, I definitely want to ‘work’ in US post MBA, and then return to India when the going gets good. And yes, there’s no Tuck or Ross for me anymore.

    Maverick – prestige, brand, etc. A debate thats difficult but interesting !

  7. Anil permalink
    March 19, 2009 11:31 am

    ATB for last minute surprises. In particular, I really hope Kellogg works out for you. Email me if you need any help/have any questions etc on relocating to the US (been here for close to ten years now)

  8. ahembeea permalink*
    March 19, 2009 2:45 pm

    Anil – I hope your wish for me comes true :-). Thanks, I’ll get in touch.

  9. March 20, 2009 6:51 pm

    Congrats on making the decision and good luck! I am sure things will end up working out.

  10. thewordjunction permalink
    March 30, 2009 9:41 pm

    ahembeea, we would have been batchmates had you decided in favor of IIMC. Our registration and induction process started today. Wish you luck with your studies. You may keep in touch with the happenings at IIMC at my blog
    Good luck !

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: